Though Spanish cuisine has roots in Roman and Mediterranean cooking, influence from Jewish and Moorish settlers differentiates Spain's cooking from the rest of Europe. Later, Spanish conquistadores brought back numerous foods from the Americas that were then introduced to the rest of Europe, including potatoes, tomatoes, peppers and beans.
Amount to serve 4 to 6
1/2 cup of flour
500 cc (2 cups) of milk
1 cooked chicken leg
Nutmeg (to taste)
750 cc (3 cups) olive oil
Eggs and bread crumbs as needed to coat the croquettes
Mince the chicken very finely. sauté it in a frying pan with 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
Dilute the flour in a little milk, stirring with a wooden spoon or with an electric mixer.
Heat the rest of the milk in a sauce pan. When it's about to boil, add the milk with the diluted flour, and keep stirring with a wooden spoon to prevent the formation of lumps. Cook at low heat for about 10 minutes until the mixture turns into a thick but silky cream. Salt and add the nutmeg to taste, add the chicken and stir for 3 to 5 minutes more, always at low heat. Spread the cream on a large, flat dish, and wait for it to cool down.
Form small oval balls using two spoons or your hands. Dredge in the flour, dip in the egg letting the excess drip off, and coat with bread crumbs. Fry them until golden brown with plenty of olive oil which must be quite hot.
Leave on paper towels to drain before serving.
Recipe provided by Asoliva of Spain
- Customs & Hospitality
- What toEat
- Menu Guide
- Festivals & Feasts
- The Tomatina (Tomato Fight)
Spanish Cookbooks with Recipes
- Catalan Cuisine by Colman Andrews
- El Farol: Tapas and Spanish Cuisine by James Campbell Caruso
- My Kitchen in Spain by Janet Mendel
- Savoring Spain & Portugal by Joyce Goldstein
- Olive Oil: From Tree to Table by Peggy Knickerbocker
- The Basque Table by Teresa Barrenechea
- The Best of Gourmet Magazine: Flavors of Spain
Tapas by Penelope Casas
- Fried Goat Cheese with Onion Confit
Queso de Cabra Frito Sobre Cebolla Confitada
- Vegetable and Goat Cheese "Lasagna"
Lasana de Verduritas con Queso de Cabra
- Fried Beer-Marinated Chicken Wings with Salsa Brava
Alitas de Pollo Marinadas en Cerveza con Salsa Brava
More Spanish Tapas Recipes
- Alioli Potatoes
- Bravas Potatoes
- Chicken Croquettes
- Fried Almonds
- Fried Calamares
- Fried Olives
- Red Pepper with Anchovies
- Salt Cod Fritters
- Shrimps with Garlic
- Spanish Orange Tart
- Spanish Tortilla
- White Beans with Vinaigrette Sauce
Back to the main Spain page
Spain on Wikipedia
More country Destinations
This page modified January 2007