Guyanese Garlic-Chile Pork
- Makes 6 to 8 servings
- Heat Scale: Hot
This is a very traditional variation on a Portuguese-influenced dish that originated in Guyana. The usual preparation method is to slaughter a pig, cut it up, and marinate it in a huge mass of garlic, malt vinegar, and fresh thyme. After a week, the meat is cooked in a large pot, creating its own garlic-oil. Note that this recipe requires advance preparation.
- 1/4 pound garlic doves (4 or 5 heads)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme or 4 tablespoons dried
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 habanero chile, seeds and stem removed, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 4 pounds boneless pork leg or shoulder, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil for frying
Combine all the ingredients except the pork and oil and puree in a blender in batches until smooth. Pour the mixture over the pork and marinate, covered, in a nonmetallic bowl in the refrigerator for at least 2 days and preferably 1 week.
Drain the pork, discard the marinade (see Variations), and pat it dry. Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat and fry the pork cubes, a few at a time, turning often, until they are browned on all sides, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add more oil for each batch if necessary.
Drain the pork on paper towels, keep warm in an oven, and serve with a salad and boiled rice.
Some cooks brown the pork slightly and then finish the cooking in a 350 degrees F oven for about 30 minutes in a covered ovenproof casserole, adding some water or marinade. For garlic lovers, simmer the marinade until thick and serve it over the pork cubes.
- The Chile Pepper Encyclopedia
Everything You'll Ever Need to Know About Hot Peppers,
with More Than 100 Recipes
- by Dave DeWitt
- William Morrow & Co. 1999, 2003
- $19.95; paperback
- ISBN: 0756754038
- Recipe reprinted by permission.
- Shrimp Piri-Piri
- Madagascar Hot Mango Salad
- Guyanese Garlic-Chile Pork
- Guatemalan Beef in Tomato and Chile Sauce
(Carne en Jocon, Guatemala)
Page created 2005. Modified March 2007