Though once dominated by British culinary tastes, Australian cuisine is now influenced by a variety of Mediterranean and Asian foods introduced by immigrant cultures. Many people living outside of Australia think of native Bush Tucker when they contemplate Australian food, but Southeast Asian, Greek, Lebanese and Italian influences are now more common.
Atlantic Salmon Egg
Roll-Ups with Salad
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Atlantic Salmon were first introduced into Tasmania in 1864 but they did not flourish. One-hundred-twenty years later, 115,000 Atlantic Salmon ova were shipped to a hatchery in Tasmania. This became the beginning of a new industry. Tasmania has a distinct quality advantage over competitors due to its pristine unpolluted farming waters, disease free environment and excellent all year round farming conditions. Tasmanian salmon justifiably command a price premium over all other Atlantic farmed salmon because of this quality, which is acknowledged in the most discerning seafood market of all, Japan.
- 8 slices of smoked Tasmanian Atlantic salmon (approx 150gm)
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 2 tsp water
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped chives
- Pinch salt
- Light olive oil
- Bunch of rocket, washed & trimmed
- 1 large carrot, peeled & grated
- 1/4 cup tartare sauce
1. Whisk eggs together in a bowl.
2. Mix cornflour & water. Stir into eggs with chopped chives & salt.
3. Lightly oil a small non-stick frying pan over high heat and spoon in 2-3 tablespoons of egg mixture to thinly cover the base.
4. Cook over medium heat until set. Slide out & cook the rest of the mixture until you have 4 omelettes.
5. Spread tartare sauce over omelettes on one side.
6. Place slices of smoked salmon over a third of the omelette and place some grated carrot & stalks of rocket.
7. Roll up & serve.
If time isn't on your side, try using a flour tortilla for a quick rollup.
- About Bush Tucker
- An Aussie Reports on Her Native Bush Tucker by Jacqualine Hollingworth
- Colloquialisms & Menu Guide
- Bush Tucker Glossary
- About Ms. Hollingworth
Traditional Australian Recipes
- Crusted Beef with Native Spices
- Smoked Tasmanian Atlantic Salmon Egg Roll-Ups with Salad
- Stockman's Pie with Mountain Pepper
Cookbook Profiles with Recipes
- Australian Food: In Celebration of the New Australian Cuisine
by Alan Saunders
- Naked Ravioli with Ricotta
- Polenta with Smoked Kangaroo and Parmesan
- Cornfed Chicken Breast Stuffed with Quandongs on Wild Mushrooms,
Warrigal Greens and Native Thyme Broth
- Pavlova with a Passionfruit Curd
- Fusions, A New Look at Australian Cooking
by Martin Webb and Richard Whittington
- Lasagne with Ricotta, Spinach and Pumpkin
- Slow-Cooked Chicken with Coconut and Whole Spices
- Braised Duck with Porcini
- Shichimi-Spiced Duck and Escarole Salad with Ginger Vinaigrette
- A Taste of Australia: The Bather's Pavilion Cookbook
by Victoria Alexander and Genevieve Harris
- Chilli Salt Squid
- Clear Tomato Extract
- Crab, Tomato and Lemon Grass Broth Soups
- Spicy Beef Salad
- Sweet Baked Ricotta with Glazed Peaches
- Drinking Habits Have Changed
- Early Wine Influences
- Influences of Major Personalities
- Today's Popular Varieties
- World Class Wines
Back to the main Australia page
Australia on Wikipedia
More country Destinations
This page modified January 2007