Makes 6 to 8 servings
Make Ahead: The gratin should he prepared just before serving.
Turkey Tetrazzini is an old fashioned leftover-turkey spaghetti casserole named for an opera star of the early 1900s. This is an easy-to-make spinoff of the traditional version. The golden brown top, with ends of the pasta baked to a crusty turn, is irresistible.
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
10 ounces cremini or button mushrooms, sliced
One 10-ounce package frozen artichoke hearts, thawed
1/2 cup chopped shallots or white part of scallions
4 cups bite-sized pieces cooked turkey (about 1 pound)
1/2 cup dry sherry, such as Manzanillo
1 pound penne pasta
One 15-ounce container part-skim ricotta cheese
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (4 ounces)
1 cup heavy cream or milk
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly milled black pepper
1. Position a rack in the top third of the oven and preheat to 400° F. Lightly butter a 10 x 15-inch baking dish.
2. In a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until they give up their juice, it evaporates, and they begin to brown, about 6 minutes. Stir in the artichokes and shallots and cook, stirring often, until the shallots soften, about 2 minutes. Add the turkey and sherry and cook until the sherry has almost completely evaporated, about 5 minutes
3. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil over high heat. Stir in the penne and cook, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is barely tender, about 8 minutes. Do not overcook the pasta, as it with cook further in the oven. Drain well.
4. Return the drained pasta to the warm cooking pot. Add the turkey mixture, the ricotta, 3/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese, the heavy cream, salt, and pepper and mix well.
5. Transfer to the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and dot with the remaining 1 tablespoon butter. Bake until the top is golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes. Serve hot.
By Rick Rodgers
Recipe Reprinted by permission.
Holiday Special: Thanksgiving Headquarters: A to Z
This page created 1998. Modified November 2006
Anatolia: Turkish Recipes
The Beer Bible
Beetlebung Farm Cookbook
Bird in Hand (Chicken)
Bob's Joke Burgers
Dinner at Home
Fast Food (Andrew Weil)
Food 52 Genius
The Food Lab
Heritage Southern Recipes
Jemima Code African Recipes
Near & Far World Recipes
NOPI Restaurant Cookbook
Oxford Companion to Wine
Phoenix Claws: Chinese
The Third Plate
V Is for Vegetables
What Katie Ate
The Whole 30
Whole Food Kitchen
Zahav Israeli Cooking
Copyright © 1994-2016,