Makes 6 servings, about 1 cup each.
Prep Time: 25 Minutes
Start to Finish: 1 Hour 10 Minutes
Ease of Preparation: Moderate
This updated spring classic calls for nutty-tasting short-grain brown rice instead of the traditional white arborio. Because the cooking time is longer with whole-grain rice, this risotto is cooked in the oven rather than on the stovetop, eliminating the need for almost constant stirring.
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 medium onions, chopped
(about 1-1/2 cups)
1 cup short- or medium-grain brown rice
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 (14-1/2-ounce) cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
or 3-1/2 cups vegetable broth
8 ounces asparagus, ends trimmed, cut into
1-inch pieces (2 cups)
1 cup sugar snap peas or snow peas, trimmed, cut into
1 cup diced red bell pepper (1 medium)
1-1/2 cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese (3-1/2 ounces)
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
1-2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest, preferably organic
Freshly ground pepper to taste
Ingredient Note: Use short- or medium-grain brown rice to achieve the characteristic creamy risotto texture.
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F
2. Heat oil in a Dutch oven or ovenproof deep sauté pan over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in rice and garlic; cook, stirring, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in wine and simmer until it has mostly evaporated. Add broth and bring to a boil. Cover the pan and transfer to the oven.
3. Bake until the rice is just tender, 50 minutes to 1 hour.
4. Shortly before the risotto is done, steam asparagus, peas and bell pepper until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes.
5. Fold the steamed vegetables, Parmesan, parsley, chives, lemon zest and pepper into the risotto. Serve immediately.
Per Serving: 267 Calories; 8 g Fat (3 g sat, 3 g mono); 11 mg Cholesterol; 35 g Carbohydrate; 12 g Protein; 3 g Fiber; 607 mg Sodium.
Nutritional Bonus: 65 mg Vitamin C (110% DV), 30% DV Vitamin A, 253 mg Calcium (25% DV).
The Essential EatingWell Cookbook
Edited by Patsy Jamieson
The Countryman Press
$29.95 US/$44.00 CAN
Recipe reprinted by permission.
This page created October 2004
Anatolia: Turkish Recipes
The Beer Bible
Beetlebung Farm Cookbook
Bird in Hand (Chicken)
Bob's Joke Burgers
Dinner at Home
Fast Food (Andrew Weil)
Food 52 Genius
The Food Lab
Heritage Southern Recipes
Jemima Code African Recipes
Near & Far World Recipes
NOPI Restaurant Cookbook
Oxford Companion to Wine
Phoenix Claws: Chinese
The Third Plate
V Is for Vegetables
What Katie Ate
The Whole 30
Whole Food Kitchen
Zahav Israeli Cooking
Copyright © 1994-2016,