Makes one 12-inch pizza, for 4 slices.
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Start to Finish: 45 Minutes
Ease of Preparation: Moderate
White beans seasoned with fresh rosemary and prosciutto make this rustic pizza an interesting departure from your standard take-out fare. Scattering it with arugula after baking provides a contrasting texture and a fresh, appealing finish.
Cornmeal for dusting
12 ounces Whole-Wheat Pizza Dough
(page 147 of the book),
or other prepared dough
1 cup canned cannellini beans, rinsed
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon
extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
2/3 cup prepared marinara sauce or Basic Tomato Sauce (page 169)
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
2 ounces thinly sliced lean prosciutto, diced (1/2 cup)
1/2 cup diced red onion
Freshly ground pepper to taste
1-1/2 cups lightly packed arugula leaves, torn
1. Place a pizza stone or inverted baking sheet on the lowest oven rack (see "Pizza Essentials," page 148 of the book); preheat oven to 500 degrees F or highest setting. Coat a 12 1/2-inch pizza pan with cooking spray and dust with cornmeal.
2. Prepare Whole-Wheat Pizza Dough, if using.
3. Combine beans, 1 tablespoon oil, rosemary, garlic and crushed red pepper in a medium bowl; toss to coat.
4. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a 13-inch circle. Transfer to the prepared pan. Turn edges under to make a slight rim. Brush the rim with the remaining 1 teaspoon oil.
5. Spread sauce over the crust, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmesan. Spread the bean mixture on top. Sprinkle with prosciutto and onion. Top with the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan. Grind pepper over the top.
6. Place the pizza pan on the heated pizza stone (or baking sheet) and bake the pizza until the bottom is crisp and golden, 10 to 14 minutes. Scatter arugula over the pizza and serve immediately.
Per Slice: 386 Calories; 13 g Fat (3 g sat, 7 g mono); 17 mg Cholesterol; 52 g Carbohydrate; 16 g Protein; 8 g Fiber; 1,151 mg Sodium.
Nutrition Bonus: 31% DV Fiber, 4 mg Iron (25% DV), 142 mg Calcium (15% DV).
The Essential EatingWell Cookbook
Edited by Patsy Jamieson
The Countryman Press
$29.95 US/$44.00 CAN
Recipe reprinted by permission.
This page created October 2004
Anatolia: Turkish Recipes
The Beer Bible
Beetlebung Farm Cookbook
Bird in Hand (Chicken)
Bob's Joke Burgers
Dinner at Home
Fast Food (Andrew Weil)
Food 52 Genius
The Food Lab
Heritage Southern Recipes
Jemima Code African Recipes
Near & Far World Recipes
NOPI Restaurant Cookbook
Oxford Companion to Wine
Phoenix Claws: Chinese
The Third Plate
V Is for Vegetables
What Katie Ate
The Whole 30
Whole Food Kitchen
Zahav Israeli Cooking
Copyright © 1994-2016,