An appetizing preparation, this will invigorate the winter-worn palate.
4 small winter squashes
(carnival, acorn, golden acorn, delicata, or other)
1 tablespoon nonhydrogenated margarine or whipped butter
1 large red onion, chopped
1/4 cup finely chopped toasted almonds
1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
or 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1. The squashes may be baked in the oven or microwave. If you are going to use the oven, preheat it to 375 degrees. F.
2. Cut the squashes in half lengthwise. Place the halves in a baking dish, cut side up, with about 1 /2 inch of water, and cover with foil. Bake until easily pierced with a knife but still holding their shape, 30 to 40 minutes, depending on the type and size of squash used. Or microwave, using as a rule of thumb 4 to 7 minutes each for each squash. Test occasionally to make sure they don't get overcooked.
3. When the squashes are cool enough to handle, scoop out and discard the seeds. Scoop out the pulp and transfer to a mixing bowl, leaving a sturdy shell of about 1/4 inch thick all around.
4. Heat the margarine in a medium skillet. Add the onion and sauté over medium heat until golden. Add the almonds and continue to sauté until they give off a toasty aroma.
5. Combine the onion mixture with the squash pulp. Add the ginger, season with salt and pepper, and stir together. Stuff back into the squash shells. Reheat in the microwave or oven, just until heated through, and serve.
Calories: 208, Total fat: 7 g ,Protein: 3 g, Carbohydrate: 31 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Sodium: 43 mg.
The Vegetarian 5-Ingredient Gourmet
250 Simple Recipes and Dozens of Healthy
Menus For Eating Well Everyday
By Nava Atlas
Broadway Books, June 2001
Recipe reprinted by permission.
This page created September 2001
Anatolia: Turkish Recipes
The Beer Bible
Beetlebung Farm Cookbook
Bird in Hand (Chicken)
Bob's Joke Burgers
Dinner at Home
Fast Food (Andrew Weil)
Food 52 Genius
The Food Lab
Heritage Southern Recipes
Jemima Code African Recipes
Near & Far World Recipes
NOPI Restaurant Cookbook
Oxford Companion to Wine
Phoenix Claws: Chinese
The Third Plate
V Is for Vegetables
What Katie Ate
The Whole 30
Whole Food Kitchen
Zahav Israeli Cooking
Copyright © 1994-2016,