Makes 1 gallon/3.75 liters
8 lb/3.6 chicken bones (meaty)
1. Rinse the bones under cool running water and place in a stockpot.
2. Add cold water or remouillage to cover the bones by about 2 inches. Add salt to taste if desired.
3. Slowly bring the stock to a simmer. Skim the surface as necessary.
4. Simmer for 3 to 4 hours. Add the mirepoix and sachet and continue to simmer the stock 1 more hour, skimming as necessary and tasting from time to time.
5. Strain the stock through a sieve or a colander lined with rinsed cheesecloth. The stock may be used at this point, or it may be properly cooled, labeled, and stored.
Add or replace aromatic ingredients to achieve a particular flavor. For example: Ginger, lemongrass, and fresh or dried chiles, juniper berries for game stocks, strongly flavored herbs, such as tarragon or rosemary, wild mushroom stems.
White Beef Stock is made by replacing chicken bones with an equal amount of beef bones. Often, chefs like to include a piece of veal shank to add body to the stock. Simmer for 8 to 10 hours.
Stocks for Jus Lié-style Pan Sauces: Brown the bones in a pot. (Chicken is shown here, but other birds and meats can be substituted.) Combine them with just enough stock or water to barely cover and simmer over low heat for 4 to 6 hours (a lesser quantity of liquid is used in relation to the bones than for a regular stock). Brown the mirepoix and tomato paste; add to the stock. Deglaze the pan used to brown the mirepoix with water or wine and add to the stock. Add a bouquet garni or sachet and simmer for 1 hour more.
The Professional Chef, Seventh Edition
By The Culinary Institute of America
John Wiley & Sons, Inc., October 2001
Recipe reprinted by permission.
Modified March 2007
The Global Gourmet®
175 Home Recipes
Burma: Rivers of Flavor
Cake Mix Doctor
Craft of Coffee
Crazy Sexy Kitchen
Fifty Shades Chicken
French Slow Cooker
Frontera - Rick Bayless
Gluten-Free Quick & Easy
Jerusalem: A Cookbook
Lidia's Favorite Recipes
Make-Ahead and Freeze
Paleo Slow Cooking
Quick Family Cookbook
Southern Living Recipes
Sweet Life in Paris
Trader Joe's Vegetarian
Copyright © 1994-2017,