Makes 2 to 3 dozen cookies
Prep 30 minutes
Refrigerate 2-1/2 hours
Bake at 375 degrees F. for 8 to 10 minutes
Ground black pepper is the unexpected ingredient that gives a special kick to the more usual mix of cardamom, cinnamon and cloves.
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter,
at room temperature
1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
2 teaspoons grated orange rind
1. Beat together butter and sugars in a medium-size bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla.
2. Sift flour; baking powder; cardamom, cinnamon, black pepper; cloves and salt onto a piece of waxed paper. Stir into butter mixture. Stir in orange rind. Cover bowl; refrigerate until dough is firm enough to roll, 2 hours.
3. Lightly butter 2 large baking sheets. Roll out dough on a well-floured surface to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut into rounds or other shapes using cookie cutters. Using a spatula, carefully transfer to baking sheets. Refrigerate until cutouts are firm, 30 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, beat oven to 375 degrees F.
5. Bake cookies in heated 375 degree oven until edges are golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer cookies from baking sheets to wire racks to cool.
Family Circle Best-Ever Cakes & Cookies
Plus Pies, Tarts, and Other Desserts
Compiled by the Editors of Family Circle
Broadway Books, October 2001
288 pages with 28 full-color photographs
Recipe reprinted by permission.
This page created December 2001
Copyright © 1994-2017,