Makes 8 servings
Prep 20 minutes
Bake at 350 degrees F. for about 1 hour
Use a springform pan so that this pretty-as-a-picture cake can be removed easily for display!
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup blanched whole almonds
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, cut into
8 pieces, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon grated orange rind
5 to 6 large plums (1-1/4 pounds),
pitted and cut into eighths (3 cups)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
Confectioners' sugar for dusting (optional)
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour a 9-inch springform pan.
2. Whisk together flour; baking powder and salt in a medium-size bowl.
3. Place sugar and almonds in a food processor. Whirl until finely ground. Add butter to processor. Whirl to combine. Add eggs and vanilla; whirl to combine.
4. Add milk to mixture in processor; whirl until blended. Add flour mixture; whirl until well blended and smooth. Add orange rind; whirl to blend. Scrape batter into prepared pan, spreading evenly.
5. Assemble topping: Arrange plum slices on batter; overlapping in a decorative pattern. Sprinkle granulated sugar over plums. Dot with butter.
6. Bake in heated 350 degree oven about 1 hour or until top is lightly browned and a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Dust with confectioners' sugar if desired. Cool in pan on a wire rack; remove sides of pan before serving.
Family Circle Best-Ever Cakes & Cookies
Plus Pies, Tarts, and Other Desserts
Compiled by the Editors of Family Circle
Broadway Books, October 2001
288 pages with 28 full-color photographs
Recipe reprinted by permission.
This page created December 2001
Anatolia: Turkish Recipes
The Beer Bible
Beetlebung Farm Cookbook
Bird in Hand (Chicken)
Bob's Joke Burgers
Dinner at Home
Fast Food (Andrew Weil)
Food 52 Genius
The Food Lab
Heritage Southern Recipes
Jemima Code African Recipes
Near & Far World Recipes
NOPI Restaurant Cookbook
Oxford Companion to Wine
Phoenix Claws: Chinese
The Third Plate
V Is for Vegetables
What Katie Ate
The Whole 30
Whole Food Kitchen
Zahav Israeli Cooking
Copyright © 1994-2016,