Chocolate Mousse Cake
Makes one very rich 8-inch cake,
About 8-10 servings
This unusual cake may be made in advance. Just make sure to bring it to room temperature before serving it with whipped cream and a few raspberries.
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup water
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
12 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate,
cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1/3 cup sweet liqueur, such as Cointreau or
Chambord (or strong coffee)
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoons sugar
One 1/2 pint basket fresh raspberries, optional
One 8-inch round pan, buttered and the bottom lined
with buttered parchment or buttered
wax paper, cut to fit
1. Set a rack at the middle level of the oven and preheat to 325 degrees.
2. Combine the sugar and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil over low heat, stirring occasionally to make sure all the sugar crystals dissolve.
3. Remove the syrup from the heat and stir in the butter and chocolate; allow to stand 5 minutes. Whisk smooth.
4. Whisk liqueur, then the eggs, one at a time, into the chocolate mixture. Be careful not to overmix.
5. Pour the batter into the pan and place in a small roasting pan. Pour 1 inch of warm water into the roasting pan. Bake about 45 minutes, until dessert is set and slightly dry on the surface. Remove cake pan from roasting pan. Cool to room temperature, then cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate dessert in pan several hours or until chilled. To unmold, run a knife between the dessert and the pan and pass the bottom of the pan over heat for no more than 10 seconds. Invert onto a platter.
6. To finish, whip the cream with the sugar until it holds a soft peak. Spread the whipped cream over the top of the dessert. Decorate the top with the raspberries.
From Simple Cookies to Extravagant Showstoppers
By Nick Malgieri
Harper Collins Publishers, October 1998
Hard cover, $35.00
Color photographs throughout
Photography by Tom Eckerle
Recipe Reprinted by permission.
This page created February 1999
Anatolia: Turkish Recipes
The Beer Bible
Beetlebung Farm Cookbook
Bird in Hand (Chicken)
Bob's Joke Burgers
Dinner at Home
Fast Food (Andrew Weil)
Food 52 Genius
The Food Lab
Heritage Southern Recipes
Jemima Code African Recipes
Near & Far World Recipes
NOPI Restaurant Cookbook
Oxford Companion to Wine
Phoenix Claws: Chinese
The Third Plate
V Is for Vegetables
What Katie Ate
The Whole 30
Whole Food Kitchen
Zahav Israeli Cooking
Copyright © 1994-2016,