Makes One 9-Inch Pie, 8 Servings
Butter Pie Dough or Shortening Pie Dough (see book)
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
3 large eggs
1 cup dark corn syrup
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 tablespoon bourbon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
1-1/2 cups coarsely chopped pecans
1. Following the instructions on page 120, line a 9-inch pie pan with the dough and flute the edges. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.2. Position a rack in the bottom third of the oven and preheat to 400 degrees F.
3. Remove the plastic wrap and line the pastry shell with parchment paper or aluminum foil, then fill with pie weights. Bake until the pastry seems set, about 15 minutes. Remove the foil and weights and set the pie shell aside on a baking sheet. Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
4. Whisk the brown sugar and eggs in a medium bowl, then whisk in the corn syrup. Add the melted butter, bourbon, vanilla, and salt and whisk to combine. Arrange the pecans in the shell, then pour in the filling.
5. Bake the pie on the baking sheet until the sides of the filling are puffed but the center is still slightly indented, 35 to 45 minutes.
6. Transfer the pie to a wire cooling rack. Let stand until warm, or cool completely. (The pie can be stored, covered, at room temperature for up to 2 days.) Serve at room temperature.
The pecans should be coarsely choppedwhole pecans make the pie impossible to cut.
Serve the pecan pie warm with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream alongside, or with a huge dollop of whipped cream.
Dark corn syrup and a splash of bourbon make this a pecan pie with backbone.— Carolyn B. Weil
The Baker's Dozen Cookbook
by The Baker's Dozen Inc.
Morrow Cookbooks/HarperCollins Publishers
Hardcover; 368 pages
$40.00; $59.95 (CAN)
Recipe reprinted with permission.
This page created April 2002
The Global Gourmet®
175 Home Recipes
Burma: Rivers of Flavor
Cake Mix Doctor
Craft of Coffee
Crazy Sexy Kitchen
Fifty Shades Chicken
French Slow Cooker
Frontera - Rick Bayless
Gluten-Free Quick & Easy
Jerusalem: A Cookbook
Lidia's Favorite Recipes
Make-Ahead and Freeze
Paleo Slow Cooking
Quick Family Cookbook
Southern Living Recipes
Sweet Life in Paris
Trader Joe's Vegetarian
Copyright © 1994-2013,