Cutie Pies: 40 Sweet, Savory, and Adorable Recipes by Dani Cone, includes recipes like All-Butter Pie Crust; The Very Best Apple Cutie Pies; Chocolate Cream Pie; and Just Right Strawberry-Rhubarb-Ginger Flipsides.
Makes 16 cutie pies (or 1 double-crust 9-inch pie, 1 double-crust 7-inch deep-dish pie, 36 petit-5s, 10 flipsides, 8 piejars, 50 piepops)
This is it: the classic. It's always the right time, place, occasion, and season for apple pie! We like to use Granny Smith apples because of their tart crispness, but this recipe lends itself well to many different apple varieties. The Very Best Apple Cutie Pie looks (and tastes) perfect with a little scoop of vanilla ice cream on top, too! A la mode for one!
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Place a rack in the center of the oven. Spray the cups of a muffin pan with nonstick pan spray.
2. To make the filling, peel, core, and cut the apples into 1/2-inch cubes.
3. In a small bowl, mix together the cornstarch, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt.
4. In a large bowl, combine the apples and the cornstarch mixture, tossing to make sure the apples are well coated.
5. To make the crust, follow the All-Butter Pie Crust recipe and rollout the dough per the instructions.
6. Cut 16 (5-1/2 inch diameter) circles from the dough. Reroll the dough scraps to make all the circles, and avoid overhandling the dough.
7. Gently but firmly press each dough circle into a muffin cup. For the edges, use the fold-tuck-crimp method (see page 13) for each Cutie Pie.
8. Spoon the filling evenly into the Cutie Pie shells, and set aside.
9. If choosing the Crumb Top option, follow the Crumb Top recipe and sprinkle it over the apple filling.
10. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the crust is golden brown. To see whether the bottom is golden, too, use a butter knife to pop a Cutie Pie out of a muffin cup. If the bottom is not brown, bake a few minutes longer. If the pie top is browning too quickly, cover with foil for the final few minutes.
11. After each Cutie Pie is cool, top with vanilla ice cream, if desired.
Buy Cutie Pies
This page created December 2011
The Global Gourmet®
175 Home Recipes
Burma: Rivers of Flavor
Cake Mix Doctor
Craft of Coffee
Crazy Sexy Kitchen
Fifty Shades Chicken
French Slow Cooker
Frontera - Rick Bayless
Gluten-Free Quick & Easy
Jerusalem: A Cookbook
Lidia's Favorite Recipes
Make-Ahead and Freeze
Paleo Slow Cooking
Quick Family Cookbook
Southern Living Recipes
Sweet Life in Paris
Trader Joe's Vegetarian
Copyright © 1994-2017,