Everyone loves this buttery cake—and we've perfected this one over time so it's the only yellow cake recipe you'll ever want to bake.
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter two 8 x 3-inch round baking pans or one 12 x 3-inch round or square pan and line them with parchment.
2. Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, and ginger. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter until fluffy and light in color, about 2 minutes on medium speed. Add the sugar and continue to mix until fluffy and light.
4. Add the egg yolks, one at a time, being sure each is blended before adding the next. Add the milk and vanilla.
5. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the flour mixture alternately with the sour cream, beginning and ending with the flour. Be sure the mixture is completely blended after each addition. Scrape the sides of the bowl, and beat for 1 minute.
6. In a separate bowl, using a clean whisk attachment, beat the egg whites on high speed until soft peaks form.
7. Gently fold the whipped egg whites into the batter with a rubber spatula.
8. Pour the batter into the prepared pans and smooth with a rubber spatula. Place the pans in the center of the oven and bake for 45 to 50 minutes until the sides of the cake pull away from the pan and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. The top of the cake should be nicely browned.
Suggested Wash Flavors: Raspberry, strawberry, lemon, orange
Suggested Fillings: Raspberry or strawberry buttercream, lemon or orange buttercream, mocha buttercream, chocolate mousse
This page created March 2009
The Global Gourmet®
175 Home Recipes
Burma: Rivers of Flavor
Cake Mix Doctor
Craft of Coffee
Crazy Sexy Kitchen
Fifty Shades Chicken
French Slow Cooker
Frontera - Rick Bayless
Gluten-Free Quick & Easy
Jerusalem: A Cookbook
Lidia's Favorite Recipes
Make-Ahead and Freeze
Paleo Slow Cooking
Quick Family Cookbook
Southern Living Recipes
Sweet Life in Paris
Trader Joe's Vegetarian
Copyright © 1994-2017,