A Seasonal Guide to Healthy Eating
Commemorating 50 years of School Lunch
Variation: Use cubes of beef, pork or turkey for another stir-fry! Or just add vegetables and tofu (bean curd), for a vegetable stir-fry!
1. Dissolve cornstarch in soy sauce. Add ginger, garlic, pepper, and sesame oil (optional) to cornstarch mixture and whisk to blend.
2. In saucepan, bring chicken broth and water to a boil.
3. Slowly odd cornstarch mixture, whisking continuously until combined. Return sauce to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and continue cooking until sauce is smooth and thick, about 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat. continued on next card
4. In a medium skillet, heat 1 Tbsp oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and sauté over medium heat for 5 to 10 minutes until no signs of pink remain. Remove chicken from heat, cover and set aside.
5. In the same skillet, heat 1 Tbsp of oil over medium-high heat. If using fresh vegetables, sauté carrots over medium heat for 4 minutes. Add onions and cook for 1 minute. Add broccoli and cook for 2 more minutes. If using frozen vegetables, add vegetables to oil and took over medium heat until tender, about 3 minutes.
6. Add cooked chicken and reserved sauce to vegetables and toss to thoroughly coat. It's time to eat!
Nutrients per serving
Ask your children how many fruits they had today. Do they need to eat more fruit according to the Food Guide Pyramid? Remember, fruit is an easy snack. It works well for picnics and school snacks. Bananas, raisins and apples pack well.
Fill the gap between knowing and doing. Most of us know that variety is important. Make it a goal for your family to try at least one new fruit each month. Make fruit easy for your kids b see and reach. Try a fruit bowl on the table.
Food, Family & Fun Main Page
This page originally published as part of the electronic Gourmet Guide between 1995 and 1999.
Copyright © 1994-2008, Forkmedia LLC. All rights reserved.
Anatolia: Turkish Recipes
The Beer Bible
Beetlebung Farm Cookbook
Bird in Hand (Chicken)
Bob's Joke Burgers
Dinner at Home
Fast Food (Andrew Weil)
Food 52 Genius
The Food Lab
Heritage Southern Recipes
Jemima Code African Recipes
Near & Far World Recipes
NOPI Restaurant Cookbook
Oxford Companion to Wine
Phoenix Claws: Chinese
The Third Plate
V Is for Vegetables
What Katie Ate
The Whole 30
Whole Food Kitchen
Zahav Israeli Cooking
Copyright © 1994-2016,