You need a rolling pin, pastry brush, metal spatula, and 2 cookie sheets.
1. Turn the oven on to 450 degrees and liberally dust 2 cookie sheets with cornmeal.
2. Punch all the air out of the dough and cut it into 6 pieces. Shape each piece into a disc about the size of a hamburger bun.
3. Roll a disc of dough out until it's a little less than 1/4-inch thick. Brush the center with oil (leave a 1-inch margin around the edge).
4. Put about 1/3 cup of filling just off center along with some grated cheese ir you like. Smear the margins with a little water to make the dough tacky, fold the dough over to make a half moon and crimp the edges together. Slide a metal spatula under the pocket to transfer it to the cookie sheet. Repeat with the other five pieces of dough.
5. When they are all done, brush the tops with a little oil and dust with cornmeal. Bake for 20 minutes or until they are nicely browned.
Note: If you use refrigerated dough, let the pockets sit on the stove so the dough warms up and gets a little puffy before baking, 20 minutes or so.
Both chef and musician, John Ryan wrote the Just Good Food blog from 1996 through 2001.
This page created 1997. Modified August 2007.
Copyright © 1994-2017,