- 1 clove garlic
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 2 slices bread in cubes 3/8 inch
- 1/4 cup oil olive—approx
- 1 each egg—coddled
- 5 tbl vinegar pear
- 1/4 cup romanello cheese—grated
- Rub bowl with bruised garlic.
- Break the washed romaine into bite size pieces.
- Toss the bread cubes with olive oil. Bake crisp.
- Coddle the egg (Whites milky, yolk raw)— I do not
recommend this. There may be a health problem with Salmonella
bacteria. The egg can be omitted, if you choose.
- Toss the Romaine with the coddled egg.
- Toss again with olive oil and vinegar
- Add half the grated cheese and croutons and toss again.
- Top with remaining cheese and croutons.
- Present to guests.
- Toss again and serve.
Serving Ideas: This is a salad I always made at
Notes: This recipe is from my teacher, Myrtle
Erickson, to who taught me that "If you would cook well, you must
Steve's #19 Recipes
- Chef Salad with California Blue Cheese Dressing
- Caesar Salad
- Tomatoes with Sweet Onions and Basil
- Asparagus with Sesame Oil and Shallots
- Spinach and Mushrooms with Warm Bacon Dressing
- Cubanaise: Slices of Avocado, Mango, Grapefruit, Vinaigrette with Tricolor Confetti of Peppers*
- Panama Salad, a Hemisphere of Orange and Grapefruit on a Slice of Pineapple. Citrus Rum Dressing with Berries.
- Gulfport Salad: Fantail Shrimp and Scallops, Crab Meat, Hard Cooked Eggs, Curried Mayonnaise*
- Salad Doctor
- Chickpea Salad
- Tortellini Primavera
* repeated from previous issues
©1996, Steve K. Holzinger. All rights reserved.
This Archived Page created between 1994 and 2001. Modified August 2007