Macaroni au Gratin
Serving Size: 4
Preparation Time :0:30
- 8 oz macaroni
- 2 qt water, boiling
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tbl oil
- 2 cups Sauce
- 2 oz Parmesan cheese—grated
- 1 tbl butter
- 2 tbl bread crumbs
- Boil macaroni in oiled salted water 9 minutes, or until "bone"
in center disappears. Drain, but do not rinse.
- Combine with 1 recipe of Mornay or Cheddar Sauce.
- Pour into buttered, crumbed gratin dish. Top with additional
grated cheese if desired.
- Bake in a slow oven, 325 F, and do not boil, the object being
to heat the macaroni and evaporate the sauce from the top of the
dish, forming a richly browned crisp crust. This will take in the
neighborhood of 30 minutes. You may slip it under the broiler when
completely hot, if you want to speed it up, but a slow bake is
NOTES: Any number of garnitures may be added to
this dish, such as a diice of ham and onions sauté' in
butter, bits of softened sundried tomato anmd mushroom, and so on
Steve's #12 Recipes:
- Baked Fish
- Herb Baked
- Light Gratin
- Macaroni au
- Poached Eggs
- Sauce Mornay
All About Gratins
©1996, Steve K. Holzinger. All rights reserved.
This Archived Page created between 1994 and 2001. Modified August 2007