1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
In a bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, salt, and baking powder and stir together.
2. Measure the buttermilk and milk in a measuring cup and add the egg. Stir together with a fork.
3. Add the baking soda and stir.
4. Pour the milk mixture into the dry ingredients.
5. Stir with a fork until just combined. Do not overstir.
6. In a small bowl, melt 1/4 cup of the shortening in the microwave.
7. Slowly add the melted shortening to the batter, stirring constantly until just combined.
8. In an iron skillet over high heat, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons shortening. Pour the batter into the hot skillet and spread to even out the surface.
Cook on the stove top for 1 minute, then bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown. The edges should be crispy.
9. Slice into squares and serve with the beans.
This page created April 2010
The Global Gourmet®
175 Home Recipes
Burma: Rivers of Flavor
Cake Mix Doctor
Craft of Coffee
Crazy Sexy Kitchen
Fifty Shades Chicken
French Slow Cooker
Frontera - Rick Bayless
Gluten-Free Quick & Easy
Jerusalem: A Cookbook
Lidia's Favorite Recipes
Make-Ahead and Freeze
Paleo Slow Cooking
Quick Family Cookbook
Southern Living Recipes
Sweet Life in Paris
Trader Joe's Vegetarian
Copyright © 1994-2017,