Serves 8 (3 empanadas per person)
These small pastries, whose origin is probably Middle Eastern, have a delicate crust with a wonderful filling of contrasting flavors. Empanadas are very popular throughout South America as street food and are sold in bars and sandwich shops as well, filled with a variety of ingredients.
The empanadas can be made early in the day and rewarmed before serving. They freeze well and can be made several days in advance. Other pastry recipes in this chapter work well with the filling.
1. All advance preparation may be found in the ingredient list.
Preparation of the Pastry
2. Combine the flour, salt, and vegetable shortening in a food processor and process until the mix resembles coarse meal. Or use a bowl and a pastry blender.
3. Add the cold water, a little at a time, until the dough reaches a smooth, slightly sticky consistency. Wrap in plastic Rim and refrigerate. (The dough can be made 1 day in advance.)
Preparation of the Filling
4. Sauté the ground beef in the oil, breaking it up as it cooks. Cook until well done.
5. Add the onion, garlic, chiles, comino, and salt and pepper and continue to cook over medium heat until the onions soften.
6. Add the parsley, cilantro, tomatoes, and raisins and cook un- til almost no liquid remains. The mixture will be quite dry. Set aside and allow to cool. (The Riling can be made 1 day in advance.)
Preparation of the Empanadas
7. Roll out the dough, about Vs inch [3 mm] thick, roughly 16 X 20 inches [40 X 50 cm], on a lightly floured surface and cut into twenty-four 3-inch [8-cm] circles.
8. Place an olive half on each round, then a teaspoonful of the Riling in the center. Fold the pastry over to form a half- circle and seal the edges of the pastry with the tines of a fork.
9. Arrange the empanadas on a parchment-lined cookie sheet and bake at 375 degrees F [190 degrees C] for 20 minutes, or until nicely browned.
10. Serve 3 empanadas per person, warm. Two tablespoons [30 mL] of salsa may be served on the side.
Page created 2003. Modified March 2007
The Global Gourmet®
175 Home Recipes
Burma: Rivers of Flavor
Cake Mix Doctor
Craft of Coffee
Crazy Sexy Kitchen
Fifty Shades Chicken
French Slow Cooker
Frontera - Rick Bayless
Gluten-Free Quick & Easy
Jerusalem: A Cookbook
Lidia's Favorite Recipes
Make-Ahead and Freeze
Paleo Slow Cooking
Quick Family Cookbook
Southern Living Recipes
Sweet Life in Paris
Trader Joe's Vegetarian
Copyright © 1994-2017,